I will keep this short and to the point – do NOT stop prospecting over the holidays! Yes, you may have a lot going on outside of work and yes, even when you DO get through to people, they may be distracted. But making the calls, and having conversations NOW, builds the relationships and the contacts that will turn into prospects and sales in the coming year!
Here are some important points to keep in mind:
- People may not be closing new business in December but the relationships you make this month are the seeds you plant to ensure a prosperous Q1 in 2020.
- Gatekeepers may be out of the office over the holidays, making it more likely you will be able to reach key decision makers directly.
- And when you DO reach those key prospects, they may be a bit less busy, in better spirits and receptive to chatting. This gives you the opportunity to learn more about them, their needs and how you can more effectively help them!
- Your competition probably ISN’T working the phones so it may be easier to get your calls answered and the people who DO answer the phone will be impressed by your work ethic.
- If your responsibilities include knocking on doors, making presentations and networking, you may find fewer people in their offices, but those that ARE there are probably a bit more laid back and able to talk.
- Remember, not everyone is celebrating in December – find the ones who are ready to work.
- Don’t fool yourself – if you are NOT prospecting over the holidays, you ARE leaving money on the table!
Don’t be discouraged – keep dialing and prospecting – it’s the best way to ensure a strong 2020!