Back in 2015, there was a lot of noise, much of it negative, around a comment made online that “You have the same number of hours in each day as Beyoncé”. The implication was, Beyoncé seems to be able to run the world with HER 24 hours and so should you! The gist of the negative narrative was, “Well, yes, but I don’t have a personal trainer, or household staff or a ton of money”.
I mention this because, as we plan for 2020 – and Yes, you SHOULD be planning for 2020! – we all DO have only 24 hours in a day and we need to be sure that we are making the most of each one of them. Here are some tips on how to make the most of YOUR Sales Prospecting hours in 2020.
First, let’s do the math:
At 6 – 7 hrs of Sales Prospecting a day (most of us work longer days, you can increase it as needed) X 5 days a week (again, in an ideal world we aren’t all cranking on weekends) = 30 – 35 hrs a week X 50 weeks (hopefully you are taking SOME time off!) which leaves you with 1500 – 1750 hours a year of Sales Prospecting time.
Here are some tips for making the most of YOUR Sales Prospecting hours:
- Commit to making calls EVERY DAY. Block out that time on your calendar and USE it – every day! Do NOT use this time to complete unrelated tasks.
- If your job entails more than calls, get THOSE activities on the calendar as well. Block out the live networking events, allocate time for digital networking on LinkedIn and other relevant platforms, plan the days when you will be knocking on doors and making presentations. By consciously ‘chunking’ out your days there will be less down time spent figuring out what you will do and when, making your Sales Prospecting hours more productive.
- Use a CRM specifically DESIGNED for outbound calling and lead generation, make sure you know how to use it properly and remember to USE it for ALL your Sales Prospecting.
- Be sure that you are working from a QUALIFIED LEAD list.
- Develop, memorize and internalize a script with a compelling message. Practice it until you are comfortable and confident in your delivery.
- Have your ‘toolbox’ filled with documents and cheat sheets so you are prepared to address and overcome objections.
- Have a plan. Work the plan. Commit to success!
Here are tasks that WASTE Prospector’s time – AVOID these:
- Using an OUTDATED or OLD Call list is a HUGE WASTE of time!
- Answering email and/or engaging on Social Media during your dedicated Sales Prospecting Hours is a WASTE of valuable time.
- Extensive research is a waste of time. We have a ‘1 x 1 rule’ – spend a maximum of one-minute researching LinkedIn and the Prospect’s website before making the call. You need to know who you are speaking with and the industry they are in – nothing more.
- Don’t be distracted by colleagues during your Sales Prospecting time UNLESS it is related to making a sale!
- Spending time on the phone with influencers is unnecessary – focus directly on the decision makers!
All of us will have the same number of Sales Prospecting hours in 2020. Many will waste their time on pointless or misdirected tasks. Some will work longer days and weeks to try to accomplish more. And some will work SMARTER, focusing on what matters most. How will YOU use YOUR Sales Prospecting time in 2020?
If you need help getting YOUR Sales Prospecting team up to speed, give us a call – we train, manage and monitor YOUR inside sales team to ensure real results! Click HERE to learn more.